For organizations on a plot of hedges suitable for a variety of plants and shrubs. Among the favorites select: juniper, viburnum, lilac, barberry, hawthorn. A full hedge of barberry are good for their barbed structure, it will protect against intruders and stray animals garden planting. Before you start forming a living fence, consider what is the height of the fence, what are the requirements for decoration, you it will show.
The most common in the Russian Federation consider varieties of barberry for hedges:
The wildlife includes more than 500 species of this shrub. Barberry is classified by the color of leaves and height. You can pick up the Thunberg barberry for hedges, which do not exceed 40-50 cm from ground level. Decorative hedge of Berberis vulgaris good stamina in this class, it is suitable for harsh climatic conditions (Arkhangelsk and Murmansk regions).
The benefits of creating a hedge of these shrubs include:
- unpretentious to the soil;
- ease of maintenance;
- low price;
- resistance to temperature extremes.
You can buy barberry for hedges in the nursery, picking up a variety for your climatic characteristics. With proper care the shrub reaches a height of 2-2,5 meters. All summer long the happy owner of a beautiful and colourful flowers, and in autumn the edible red fruits.
The most popular varieties for hedges include:
- Thunberg – a kind of barberry, came to our country from China and Japan. This variety has many sub-species, the size of which is represented in the range of 0.5-1.5 meters. The leaves are red, brown, Burgundy, yellow, distinguish plant amongst many other garden shrubs. This variety is suitable for the formation of low living fences. Among the disadvantages of the varieties inedible fruit of barberry. Thunberg has great stamina, without any problems transfers the dry season. Shrub resistant to low temperatures, likes Sunny areas. A full fence will be formed after 2-3 years after planting, showing all its decorative appeal;
- Ottawa barberry was bred in Canada, it has excellent resistance to low temperatures. The plant reaches 3 meters in height, the leaves are a beautiful purple color in the fall they become yellow or red, the spines small, the soft;
- Amur barberry received in the Khabarovsk and the Amur region, the height of the shrub 1.5-2 meters. In the summer the leaves on a living fence light green, the autumn change colour to yellow-red. The bushes are large and strong spines (up to 3 cm).
Often, a hedge of barberry with his hands running from such varieties as Siebold with beautiful yellow, purple, green leaves.
Barberry can be propagated in several ways:
The simplest option would be purchasing seedlings in the nursery. You will save time and get the maximum result with the minimum of labour.
If you wish to save, you can grow the cuttings, planting fall seeds in the prepared soil. Acidic soil previously enriched with ash, and only then planted the seeds of the barberry.
- Decorative hedge of Berberis vulgaris is unpretentious to the soil. When you create favorable conditions, the shrub will form a full. Optimal for creating the hedge of barberry is loamy soil with a neutral reaction medium.
- The planting material is planted in the spring until the plants are no leaves, or in autumn, when the leaves have fallen from the Bush.
- Choose a place on the site, which is well illuminated by sunlight. Trying to drive wooden stakes on the land that will be used under the barberry hedge. Pulls on the perimeter rope, ensuring a smooth landing of the future of a living fence. The frequency of planting depends on the variety of shrub, selected under a hedge, and from the desired «splendor» of the fence. It is possible to make a continuous trench, resting on her bottom with a mixture of leaf, humus, peat, fertilizer, or plant a young sapling in a separate hole.
- The depths of the pit must be sufficient to accommodate the roots of the plant. Before planting with seedlings need to remove the old leaves, dry roots. A sapling is cut, is placed in the hole, abundantly watered.
- To protect shrubs from rotting and fungal diseases, do a full drainage ditch. When the location of the groundwater close to the surface, trench digging 25-30 cm deep, laid with gravel.
Young seedlings of ornamental shrubs require abundant watering. If the rainy summer, additional watering barberry does not require. In the first year of life, constantly weed seedlings, the soil around the plants loosened. In winter, the shrub covered with leaves, fir spruce branches. Adult Bush enough one – or two-a-day feeding. Young ornamental shrub fertilize 3-4 times per season fertilizers.
Care lush hedges must be more thorough than for single bushes.
Cutting the plants performed only as needed (2-3 years), as this shrub is able to create a beautiful and lush Bush.
A hedge of fast-growing perennial barberry – variant decoration of the suburban area. Such a fence is unpretentious, beautiful, adapt to different climatic conditions. This shrub will decorate your yard with its beautiful velvety leaves throughout the year, his solid spikes will become a reliable protection of your garden.