- Characteristic features of vertical gardening
- The design of the pipes
- The option of plastic bottles
- The use of the grid
- Other ways of arrangement of the vertical spaces
The landscape design specialists offer each year new ideas on greening the local area. Vertical flower beds quickly gained popularity among owners of small plots, allowing you to decorate the surrounding space without taking up extra square meters. What features when building custom designs await you, from which they are made and what plants are suitable optimally, we consider in detail.
There are two option to become the owner of vertical beds: shop for gardeners ready-made containers or make an original design on their own. The second option is much more practical – using available materials, created an extraordinary flower bed will fit harmoniously into the landscape design of the individual site. Advantages of vertical flower beds:
- The production design does not require significant costs, as raw materials, suitable plastic pipes, bottles, sticks, car tires, boxes and other products, overage.
- Various forms of vertical beds provide attractive landscaping not only land, but also the walls of the housing, fence, outbuildings, gazebos for recreation or decorative arches.
- Compactness of certain types allows you to elegantly decorate small areas, including the balcony.
- To make a vertical flower bed is not difficult, care for established plants is simple.
- Isolation from the ground reduces the risk of penetration of pests.
At the same time with a lot of advantages when building a vertical flower beds and future care of the plants you should consider some nuances:
- A limited number of ground forces to make regular feeding for healthy development of plants.
- Because of the increased susceptibility to low temperatures, vertical beds require additional insulation. The absence of precautions it is possible in two cases: compact design is gathered for the winter in a warm room or planted them with hardy annuals.
- Stands in vertical beds require frequent watering.
To prevent drying of the soil and the plants to die allow the following actions:
- At the stage of preparation of the soil it is complemented by the hydrogel, providing the accumulation and preservation of moisture.
- To make drip irrigation. The initial costs will pay off lush blooms over a long period.
- When making a vertical flower beds to opt for low-growing species that do not require large amounts of moisture.
Most often beds out of PVC pipes used for planting strawberries or strawberries. For making designs will need a pipe diameter of 50 and 150 mm. the Product is of a smaller diameter is intended for irrigation of crops, it is longer than the main frame in 10-15 see to Make from PVC pipe vertical flower bed is quite simple:
- Pipe of smaller diameter is equipped with holes for water outlet.
- To avoid clogging, will help burlap or non-woven fabric, is wound and fixed along the tube.
- Bottom watering pipe closed with duct tape or foil.
- On the exterior design of the holes for the plants placed at a distance of 20-25 cm from each other, their diameter is 15 cm.
- Put the bottom plug.
- The external pipe is securely fixed in an upright position, and then placed inside a smaller design for irrigation.
- The gap formed is filled with expanded clay or gravel to a height of 10-15 cm for the formation of the drainage, top soil fill.
- To avoid voids will allow periodic watering as filling the earth.
- At the final stage through the holes and planted plants.
- Watering and fertilizing of the soil is carried out through the inner tube, which is inoperative closes.
In addition to strawberries, the vertical bed is ideal for extensively growing flowers: nasturtiums or petunias.
For vertical flower beds are useful drainage, or heating pipes. Make fine screen can be in two steps. The first is to put the side caps on the drain pipes or make holes in the products for heating. The second issue of durable ropes vertical pendant mount. Setting a design on the terrace or in the gazebo, you can fill it with soil and plant your favourite plant. This option of vertical gardening is conveniently to disassemble for the winter months.
To make from plastic bottles vertical flower bed is another inexpensive way to decorate the plot. Before their use as containers of product to thoroughly wash and clean the labels off. The most convenient to use plastic utensils to decorate the fence. As with pipes, bottles for vertical beds can be positioned in different ways. The first method involves the following steps:
- Capacity, preferably with a volume of 2.0-2.5 liters, cut in half.
- The upper half is equipped with a wire holder, then it is filled with soil and planted seedlings.
- The container plant is inserted in the lower half of the bottle, the whole set is attached to the surface in need of decoration.
Instead of plastic bottles interesting flower bed can be made from cans or planters, after taking care of the drainage holes. To give a vertical flowerbed bright colors will help staining containers or aerosol acrylic paints.
The second method involves the location of plastic bottles horizontally. One side is cut a rectangular hole for falling asleep soil and planting flowers, on the opposite side it is necessary to make holes to drain excess moisture. The bottom and the neck of the bottle with the awl also equipped with holes, through which is passed a rope, from below it is formed a reliable unit, retaining the container at the required vertical height of the beds. Originally peculiar cover has unpresentable form, but in the future, overgrown plants will successfully mask the homemade plastic containers.
For such containers the representatives ampelnyh plants are not suitable due to insufficient land. The screen on the fence better make greens with small root system. Mattiola, Lobelia or minitune – optimal solution for the vertical beds in plastic bottles.
To exquisitely landscaped design allow basket plants planted in the vertical beds, which are based on the grid. Most often the design has the shape of a tower, but if the show imagination, you can make a cube, a ball or animal. Process equipment vertical beds of the grid includes the following steps:
- In the ground is inserted four columns to the desired height.
- Around them from the grid with a geotextile is formed by a cylinder, the edges securely fixed with wire.
- The center of the vertical beds is equipped with two pipes for irrigation, in which pre-prepared holes for water flow, staggered.
- In the next step of forming the vertical beds form a mesh filled with soil with the addition of baking powder. This role will suit a vermiculite or perlite. Also there are hygroscopic materials in the form of special technical wool or moss-sphagnum.
- After filling of the container in geotextile (it successfully replaces was lutrasil) you should make holes through which seedlings planted matching colors.
Budget alternative to geotextiles in a vertical flowerbed from the grid can serve as an ordinary plastic film. As a variant, the grid is not wrapped around the columns and inserted into the volume pot, but then you should additionally take care of its stability.
In addition to the exquisite petunias «Rambler» or «Opera», for net vertical beds suitable nasturtium or basket everbearing strawberries. Vertical bed in the shape of a tower, covered with pink or white flowers mixed with berries – the original decoration for landscaping.
Looking around, to make a bed with a non-standard location of various materials in excess of those present at the dacha.
Similar to the flower garden from PVC pipes, craftsmen offer build unconventional a bed of plastic flexible pipes (hose), which is wrapped in a spiral around a vertical support. Inside the hose is pre-installed perforated tube of small diameter (best suited part of medical treatment). The external surface of polyethylene pipe is equipped with holes for planting, then filled it with soil. To make a vertical flower bed of small-diameter pipes is recommended herbs, garden succulents and other plants, which are not particular to the quantity and quality of soil.
To build the original painting of green spaces compact size, the landscape design specialists offer with the old tray or plastic box. Inside the container is fastened mesh, densified non-woven cloth or straw, after which the container is filled with soil with the addition of moss-sphagnum, performing the function of the hydrogel. In the final phase of planted seeds or seedlings. As in the previous embodiment, is optimally suited for vertical beds in the form of small paintings fit unpretentious garden succulents. To make a structure for balcony or decorate multiple instances of the fence.
The second option is the use of boxes – design beds in the form of a pyramid. The basis of the vertical decoration consists of a wooden frame of large dimensions. After filling, the soil, the top is the smaller capacity. It is better to make the height not exceeding the human growth, to care for a vertical flower bed did not bring any inconvenience. Watering of this design can be traditional or drip. In the second case, the center of the bed is pre-equipped with a vertical pipe with holes for watering.
The most simple and budgetary variant – positioning of the pyramidal staggered tires. The size and shape of the vertical beds varies solely based on the wishes of the owner of the site. To make the design more attractive to help the autopsy material with acrylic paints. This bed needs no equipment drip irrigation.
To make the original mobile bed from an ordinary flower pots, strung on a Central basis or on a special stand.
Each of these options has a right to exist, the choice depends on the ultimate goals of the owner of the site and its capacity to care.