Not all owners of their own plots tend to give a site the ordered view, where simply placement and selection of plants is felt by the human hand. Some are closer to natural landscapes, with the usual trees of the forest, dandelions and field grasses instead of a lawn. Most often, this landscape gardeners leave that area went already with Mature trees. Especially concerned our people to the birch, because the beauty she can compete with the rare foreign cultures. But let’s see whether relevant forest birch in the design of the site, and what varieties should give preference (to avoid problems with the neighbors).
If this tree while on your cottage there, but the dream of a birch tree beside the porch was beginning to excite the heart, first consider all the pros and cons that will bring you forest dweller.
Nekulturny, i.e. wild birch trees grow very fast and chase to epic proportions. Today’s two-foot seedling in five years will surpass the height of the house, and after 20-25 years can shoot up to 45 meters. This specimen is very harmonious on a large plot where the house is large and a territory enough. But the sight of a huge tree near a small country house makes the structure a tiny and ridiculous.
Birch grove is quite harmonious on the background of modern designs — paved paths, pools and other small forms, if they are designed in the Russian style
In addition to size, consider the following:
- The roots of birch trees are located in the surface layers of the soil and crawl to the side a radius of 6-10 meters (depending on variety). They are so actively suck the nutrition from the earth that even an ordinary grass to get along easy with them. So, you will have to carefully consider the design under a tree and experiment with different plants until you find «tolerant neighbor».
- Mature tree absorbs during summer day more than 60 liters of water, and other decorative crops (underneath) are only crumbs liquid.
- From a birch a lot of debris, it often refreshes the leaves, and weeping varieties shed even thin branches. So to maintain the cleanliness of the area will be difficult.
- If your plot borders with its neighbors, incorrectly planted birch can become the cause of strife, because it is casting a shadow, blocking light to the lower plant tiers. And even when permitted by building codes 4 feet from the fence, Mature tree creates a shady spot for a much larger area.
- In close proximity to a birch tree, not along fruit trees, so the radius of 10 meters the garden is not planted.
But all these disadvantages turn into advantages, if you approach the plantings wisely.
So, above it was said that the Mature tree is a powerful pump, pumping out water from the ground. If you «lucky» to buy a cottage in the valley, where in spring many places dry out before the end of may, and after rains for weeks is a swamp, then forest birch to your landscape is very useful. It normalizes the moisture level not only within the root system, but on 10 meters forward. So in lowland areas of the birch Avenue planted in the side where there is a natural slope of the land.
The height of the birch may play into the hands of the cottagers, whose site is located in the open countryside and windswept. Planted a few trees from the North (or the side where the wind blows most often), you protect fruit trees, grapes and ornamental crops from the freezing branches, because without the wind the cold much easier to bear. Only when birch trees get very large, will have the second next to dokazivati medium grade (can not birches), since the crown is too high and will not close from the bad weather the lower tier of the planting.
On top of everything else, the leaves of birch trees – beautiful raw materials to create compost. If you knock down the box or make a compost pit, every year you will have at hand a rich soil for fertilizing garden beds and flower beds. Small twigs will also come in handy: they are in the compost will play the role of layer, not allowing the leaves to condense and helping air circulation.
Alley of birch trees planted along the fence, protect from strong winds more delicate ornamental shrubs, roses, and in the window to blow will be less
Fans of bath treatments can cut twigs sufficient, especially since the haircuts help to create a magnificent crown. However, if the tree would wave for 20 meters – to the branches you will not get. In the spring the whole family will have a healthful juice.
If the arguments «for» outweigh the «against» — land safely. Moreover, to restrain the growth of forest beauties quite possible for an inexperienced gardener. Usually, birches bring on a small area, up to a meter in height, because small seedlings take root easier. Decide how high will be the most harmonious in your landscape.
As soon as a year or two birch reaches the desired height, cut off the tip. So you will give impetus to the growth of the lateral branches will make the crown thicker and stop the growth permanently. Pruning is carried out in the summer and after leaf.
If your yard has sprouted birch with multiple trunks, twist them together and tie. In a few years this tree will get the original form
In the wild, common and weeping types. Second do not grow above 20 metres. But if you want in the woods to find a sapling weeping varieties, in appearance hardly recognize as «childhood» birch trees look almost identical. Focus on adult plants growing nearby. The wind rarely puts on a great distance that brand.
But if you come across the usual birch, you can turn it into a weeping man-made way. The top cut off, and the lateral branches tending upwards, fold and hang each weight (water bottles, pieces of iron, etc.). The main thing – do not overdo it with the weight. You should start with small weights, gradually increasing their severity. Then in winter the branches will not break and will not morozovoy.
To give the branches some direction hammered into the ground pins (because the tent is fixed) and they tied the branches with weights. In winter, the place of contact of ropes and branches necessary to wrap cloth to keep frayed bark.
What to do, since forest beauty got you in adulthood? Here a few options: if the size of the plot allow, leave it as is, and under the birch decorate the area. Bring down around the barrel of the bench, hang a hammock or place garden furniture. In such a place even in the heat you will be cool. Under the canopy of foliage well-placed and nursery for girls.
Under Mature birch trees all summer there is a cool shade, so here the hammocks are put swing and sun loungers or equip a children’s area
The second option is to give the birch a more decorative look. It is used by those gardeners who plan to create a more structured landscape, with clipped ornamental shrubs, lawn, paths, etc. In this case, the birch can be nice to cut:
- Leave branches only at the top, cut down the crown and all lateral branches growing below. This option is the haircut called «under a palm tree», as this tree all the leaves emerge from one point of growth.
- To cut all of the branches and the top, leaving the trunk at 10 cm from thick branches (imagine how many brooms from bind!). Then after a couple of years birch covered with a large number of the young twigs extending from the left of the stumps, and will resemble a kind of green column.
Be prepared that not every Mature tree is similar to the shearing stand. Birch a couple of years to get sick while going from shock. Another negative haircuts of Mature trunks – the roots will immediately give shoots. So birch is insured in case of death shoots new «offspring». However, to deal with them is not harder than a crop of plums or cherries.
To rid the area of excess shadows of the birch completely cut down the branches almost to the top of the head (haircut a La Palma)
As the soil under the birch will be much to drain, not all ornamental plants can survive in such conditions. However, in the heat you still have to water (as with any flower garden!).
Here is a list of cultures that can coexist with the forest «guest»:
- Strawberries. Bring from the forest a few bushes and plant directly into the grass. Children these berries to gather much more interesting weeks ripping on the bed.
- Onion. These droughts are not afraid, because they bloom in early spring, when moisture abound, even under the birches. And in the summer you’ve dug up.
- Ferns. It is highly resistant to any climate conditions of the plants. Braids under a birch tree all the space, if you give them the will.
- Lilies of the valley. Like the previous plant, cover the soil with a thick carpet, not at all suffering from the shade and dryness.
- Anemone (or sea anemone). It blooms throughout may and organically looks under the forest tree, and as she comes out of the woods.
As you can see, most of the plants are able «make friends» with the birch – forest dwellers. You even can not buy in the market, and to go into the forest and «smuggling» to dig there is a lot of relevant germs. However, to do this better in the early spring to the degree of survival was maximum.
Often under birches planted plants of the spring flowering period, as they are for the formation of stems after the winter the lack of moisture
If planting birch while only in the project – think about whether you a wild tree. 4-5 acres worth do cultivated, grafted varieties that do not grow higher than 3 meters, and hence the problems will be less.
Jung refers to dwarf birches, it is often grafted on the trunk, so such a plant is appropriate in any design areas
The most popular in landscape design:
- grade Jung, whose crown is reminiscent of a lush asymmetrical umbrella, beautifully cascading to the ground;
- the variety Gracilis, eye-catching straight trunk and weeping branches;
- grade long Trunk, with dazzling white, without a single black dot a trunk, large carved leaves and cascading foliage.
With proper placement and care birch will be the main attraction in your country and the envy of neighbors.