Not all of the owners of their own areas tend toto give the territory an orderly appearance, where strict placement and selection of plants sense the hand of man. Some closer natural landscapes, with the usual trees of the forest, dandelions and grasses of the field instead of the lawn. Most often, this landscape left gardeners who have got land with mature trees. Especially, our people are not indifferent to the birch tree, because the beauty of it can compete with the occasional foreign cultures. But let's see, is it always appropriate birch forest in the plot design, and what varieties should be preferred (to avoid problems with neighbors).
If the tree is not in your country, but the dream of a birch tree near the porch already begun to excite the heart, first weigh all the pros and cons, which will bring you to a forest inhabitant.
Uncultivated, ie wild birch grows very quickly and grow inordinately tall to epic proportions. Today a half-meter seedling in five years will surpass the height of the house, and in 20-25 years can shoot up to 45 meters. This tapeworm is very harmonious on a large plot, where the house is large, and the territory is sufficient. But the sight of a huge tree near a small country house makes the structure of tiny and ridiculous.
Birchwood quite harmonious against the background of modern designs - paving, swimming pools and other small forms, if they are designed in Russian style
In addition to size, it is necessary to consider the following:
- The roots of birch trees are located in the surface layerssoil and crawl to the side radius of 6-10 meters (depending on grade). At the same time they are so actively suck the power out of the land, that even ordinary grass is not easy to get along with them. This means that you will have to think carefully about the design under a tree, and experiment with different plants, until there is "tolerant neighbor."
- A mature tree absorbs summer day more than 60 liters. water, and other ornamental plants (under it) are only crumbs of liquid.
- From birch lot of garbage, she often updates the foliage and weeping varieties shed even thin twigs. So to maintain the purity of the territory will be more difficult.
- If your site is bordered by neighbors, theimproperly planted birch could be the cause of strife, so far as it casts a shadow, blocking the light plants lower tiers. Even when allowed by SNIP 4 meters from the fence, mature trees create a shady spot on a much larger area.
- In close proximity to the birch does not get along with fruit trees, so within 10 meters of the garden is not planted.
But all these disadvantages are easily converted into pluses, if we approach the planting wisely.
Thus, the above has been said that a mature tree -is a powerful pump, pumping out moisture from the ground. If you are "lucky" to buy a cottage in a valley where the spring many places dry out before the end of May, and after weeks of rain is a swamp, then birch forest to your landscape is very useful. It normalizes the moisture level not only in the radius of the root system, but also on 10 meters ahead. So on the low-lying parts of birch alley planted in the side where there is a natural slope of the land.
The height of the birch could play into the hands of the cottagers,whose land is located in the open countryside and windswept. By planting a few trees in the north (or the side where the wind blows more often), you will protect fruit trees, vines and ornamental plants from the freezing of branches, because without wind frost much easier to bear. Only when the birch will be very large, have a second row of dosazhivat sredneroslye grade (can not birches), as the main crown is too high and will not be able to close on the lower tier of the weather landings.
Plus everything else, fallen leaves of birch -excellent raw material to create compost. If you knock down box or make a compost pit, each year you will have at your fingertips the rich soil to feed the flower beds and flower gardens. Small twigs also useful: they will play a role in the compost layer, not giving the leaves thicken and help air circulation.
Avenue of birch trees planted along the fence, to protect against strong winds more delicate ornamental shrubs, roses, and the windows blow will be less
Fans of bath procedures will cut into broomssufficient, especially as haircuts help form a magnificent crown. However, if the tree will wave 20 meters - to the branch you do not get it. In the spring, the whole family will be on hand healing juice.
If "yes" arguments outweighed all "against" -Plant boldly. Especially that restrain the growth of the forest beauties quite able inexperienced gardener. Usually, birch trees bring to the site are small, up to a meter high, because small seedlings take root easily. Just decide what height will be the most harmonious in your landscape.
Once a year or two to reach the desired birchheight, cut off the top. So you will give impetus to the growth of lateral branches, make a thick crown and stop the growth of all. Pruning is carried out in the summer and after leaf fall.
If your site sprouted Birch with several trunks, twist them together and tie. A couple of years the tree will acquire the original form
In the wild, there are regular and weepingkinds. The latter does not grow higher than 20 meters. But if you want to find in the forest weeping seedling varieties, the appearance is unlikely to recognize, as the "child" birch trees look almost identical. Focus on adult plants growing nearby. Wind rarely puts a great distance some sort.
But if you come across an ordinary birch, you canturn it into a weeping man-made means. Cut off the top of his head, and lateral branches, tending upwards, bend down and hang on each sinker (water bottles, pieces of iron, etc.). The main thing - do not overdo it with the weight. We must start with small weights, gradually increasing their severity. Then winter branches are not pulled down and there will be frost-crack.
To give the branches a certain direction,driven into the ground pins (as the tent is fixed) and they tie branches with weights. In winter, the place of contact of the ropes and branches need to wrap with a cloth so as not frayed bark.
And what to do, since you went to the forest beautyin adulthood? Here are several options: If the plot size allows, leave it as is, and under the birch Organize sitting area. Beat the bench around the trunk, hang a hammock or place garden furniture. In this place you even in the heat will cool. Under the canopy of foliage great place and a children's room for the girls.
Under older birch trees all summer reigns cool twilight, so here hang hammocks, swings and sunbeds put either equip a children's corner
The second option - to make a birchdecorative appearance. It is used by those vacationers who are planning to create a more orderly landscape with a clipped ornamental shrubs, lawn, walkways, etc. In this case, the birch can be nicely trimmed.:
- Leave a branch only at the top, having cut all the crown and side branches growing below. This hairstyle option called "under a palm tree", since this tree all the leaves go from one point of growth.
- Speel all branches and the crown, leaving the stem on10 cm thick branches (imagine how much immediately bind brooms!). Then a couple of years birch is covered with a large number of young branches extending from the stumps left behind, and will remind such utter green column.
Be ready that not every mature treesimilar haircut stand. Birch may hurt a couple of years until the go with shock. Another minus haircut adult trunks - the roots will instantly shoots. So birch insured against destruction and fires the new "offspring". However, do not fight harder with them than with the shoots of plum and cherry.
To rid the land of excess shade, cut down completely from birch branches almost to the top of the head (haircut a la Palma)
Since the ground under a birch tree will greatly Sears, not all decorative plants will be able to survive in such conditions. However, in the heat you will still have to water (as well as any flower garden!).
Here is the list of crops that can live with the forest "guests":
- strawberry. Bring a pair of bushes of a forest and plant directly into the grass. Children are much more interesting to collect berries, week vomit on the bed.
- Bulbous. These droughts are not afraid, because they bloom in early spring, when plenty of moisture even under the birches. And in the summer you have them dig.
- Ferns. It is very resistant to any climate conditions of the plants. Zapletut under birch all the space, if you give them free.
- lilies of the valley. As with the previous plant, covered with a dense carpet of soil, no shade and suffering from dryness.
- Windswept (or anemone). It blooms all through May and organically looks under the forest trees, as itself - comes from the forest.
As you can see, the majority of plants capable of"Make friends" with birch - forest dwellers. You can not even buy on the market and to go into the woods and "smuggling" dig there a lot of relevant germs. However, to do it better in the early spring, to the extent the survival rate was the highest.
Most often under the birches planted plants spring flowering period, as it stems to form after missing the winter moisture
If planting birch is only in the project -I have time to think, and whether you need a wild tree. At 4-5 acres is cultivated do grafted varieties that do not grow up to 3 meters, and therefore the problems will be less.
Young refers to the dwarf birch, it is often grafted onto shtamb, so this plant is appropriate in any design of territory
The most popular in landscape design:
- Young Class, whose krone resembles a lush asymmetrical umbrella, beautifully cascading to the ground;
- Class Gracilis, catching a straight trunk and branches of a weeping form;
- Class Long Trunk, with dazzling white, without a single black dot barrel, large carved leaves and falling foliage.
With proper placement and care of birch will be the main attraction at your cottage and the envy of neighbors.