A variety of flower beds are the main decoration of home gardens. Correctly and beautifully planted with flowers, surrounded by neatly trimmed bushes and trees that will cheer up any person and give pride to the owner of the site.
One of varieties of flower beds is the ridges are long, accurate and clear forms flower bed, which is usually planted along walkways, fence or home. This word – ridges, derived from the German patch, which is used to grow vegetables. Now it is considered designer decoration.
Quite often, the ridges confused with similar flower garden – a mixborders. It is the same long and narrow, it is also used to decorate the track and place near the house. Unlike the long flower beds that it forms a more rigorous and balanced. And the flowers in it are planted more strictly and in a certain order, when, as in mixed borders, no strict order and symmetry.
There are several types of ridges, and they are divided according to various criteria.
The separation according to the method of planting:
- Unilateral – based on the principle: in the background the entire length, planted tall plants; then plant low flowers in front, also along the entire length are ground cover plants.
- Two – way- landed in the middle of the ridges, along the entire length of the high planting flowers; on either side of them grow low plants.
- Intermittent is a flower garden, consisting of several segments, the gaps make out the low plants, rocks or small tile?.
Separation by location:
- Asymmetrical one – way flower bed, planted along the house or fence.
- Symmetric is a flower garden located in the middle of any space.
The division of plant varieties:
- Annual – consists of annual flowers, blooming only one season.
- Years – consists of perennial flowers, flowering every year.
The division of colours:
- Contrast consists of several bright and saturated colors, alternating with each other.
- Monochromatic – consists mainly of one color, but can be used multiple shades.
The division by height of selected plants:
- Single storey, consists of flowers and plants the same height.
- Bunk – consists of one high tier colors and the second lower.
- Stacked consists of several layers of different height plants.
In this video you can see the variety and types of ridges:
In landscape design ridges can perform several different functions:
- For decorating hedges.
- To decorate along the tracks.
- To decorate along the fence.
- The decoration along the plot.
- The delimiter of the lawn.
- A delimiter different areas of the site.
- As a separate bed.
Choosing where to locate the flower, and what function it will perform, you need to pick up the flowers so they blend with the background your location.
To make the ridges with his hands is quite simple, in this process there is nothing complicated just need to outline a plan and stick to it and will be pleased with the result. The tentative plan of creating ridges on your site:
- You need to choose a place under the ridges and to determine its form.
- To understand what are the conditions of this place and choose it under the flowers.
- To determine when and what flowers will bloom, plants.
- Draw a plan for planting crops, to avoid confusion.
- To prepare the ground for planting, if needed, fertilize it.
- Planting flowers, checking with sketch plan.
- Decorate the edge of the flower garden to your taste.
The width and length of the ridges do according to their own desires and capabilities of the site. It can be from two feet wide to infinity in length.
If you are planning very long ridges, it is possible to diversify by planting in equal distance, some beautiful solitary plant or to do a little klumbochki.
If the site is located so that water can stagnate in the ridges, harm to green plantings, this will help made in the center along the entire length of a small mound, and the excess water will drain to the base.
Choosing plants that will bloom in the ridges, and constitute a particular landscape composition should be considered:
- The color scheme of flower beds should be combined with all the style of a suburban area and not look ridiculous bright spot.
- Flower garden to make you happy for a long time, you should choose plants that will bloom one after another.
- When creating ridges need to consider a variety of plants, they should not be too much, but gaps should not be.
- Choosing a few plants, you need to know what colour they will, and figure out whether they also need to know what color will be the later of the plants.
- Some of the flowers are flawed in terms of the plush green cushions, to help them and to decorate is to take care of decorative greenery.
Choosing the color scheme for ridges must not forget about their combination with each other. If the bed is plain, you can not fear to use several shades of that color. If you plan a contrasting flower garden, it is better to take two colors and dilute them with plants that create the background of the whole composition. For example, colors like purple and yellow, a good complement conifers or grass plants.
Most often in country houses with their own hands create ridges of perennials along paths that each year passing by, to unprecedented joy and pride in his offspring. Doing here it is not very high, so it won’t look like growths. High ridges planted near fences and walls of the house.
For high ridges well suited to such plants as:
- Dwarf spruce.
- Asters and marigolds.
Low ridges along the path will suit you:
- Irises and tulips.
- Lilies and daffodils.
- Snowdrops and crocuses.
- Chrysanthemums and lupins.
- Astilba and yarrow.
Also, many gardeners are not afraid to plant in the ridges vegetable crops such as:
- Zucchini and beets.
- Hot peppers and physalis.
- Carrots and parsley.
Making a plan by selecting a location and suitable plants, can be safely taken to create ridges. Take the necessary tools such as:
- The soil.
- Material for decorating the borders of flowerbeds.
To start is to lay out the area using pegs and ropes, where and which plants will be.
Then with a spade and remove the top layer of soil, about 10-15 centimeters. This will be the base under the flower garden.
The groove edge round material for decoration and design of its borders. This can be bricks, stones or tiles.
Fill with soil mixed with fertilizer in the prepared recess, making the center along the entire length slightly above the edges.
Planted flowers and plants, referring to the sketched plan in advance of planting. They should not be too close to each other.
Now is to water them and leave for some time, the plants have taken root.
Ridges are almost ready, as soon as the plants take root, they will begin to delight in its beauty and color. Now, to paint does not fade all season or every year, you need to follow this unusual flower garden.
Care ridges practically does not differ from usual care for the flowerbed. It is time not to forget to feed the plants, be sure to water them and, of course, watch out for weeds.
If the ridges live annual plants, in autumn, they need to remember to remove that in the next season, their place will be new tenants.
Perennial plants should crop for the winter and really warm, the next year they continued to entertain and give a good mood.
Also do not forget to check the diseased plants. So they didn’t infect the neighbors are better to get rid of.
Ridges is a long flower bed with strong boundaries and planting certain flowers and plants. This wonderful and striking design element will bring a lot of fun, especially if was created by your own hands and considering the tastes and desires of the owner.