Lush lawn and beautiful flower beds require constant attention and care. With time, regular watering becomes a boring duty. Can help automatic drip watering the lawn, so simple and understandable from the point of view of the device and installation that it can be done by hand. Whether to opt for this type of irrigation and how it differs from a sprinkler? Let’s see.
Drip irrigation is recommended for irrigation of greenhouse plants, trees and shrubs, flower beds, flower beds, plantations. It arrange for the watering of lawns if there is no possibility of installation of the sprinkler (for example, if the pitch is narrow or has a complicated curved shape).
The main part of a system – long pipe with holes throughout its length. Dripping irrigation provides uniform and constant distribution of water. The system works with such speed, that allows water to drip on the soil surface and be absorbed in a certain period of time. 2 hours one drip point of the soil impregnated with water by 10-15 cm in depth and the same radius, provided that the system is adjusted for watering flowers.
Drip irrigation for turf is installed in areas where there is no possibility to arrange sprinkler irrigation. In this scheme, a narrow plot on the right side
The benefits of using a drip system:
- eliminated the distortion of the irrigation sector (unlike a sprinkler system, partially dependent on the direction and force of the wind);
- provided specific watering the root area of the plants;
- no water flow to adjacent landscaped areas;
- watering evenly distributed over the entire area of the site;
- do not peel occurs on the surface of the soil;
- system installation does not require excavation work, takes a little time;
- there is the possibility of fertilizing plants with mineral fertilizers;
- saves both water and personal time.
Another undeniable plus – budget the cost of the entire set of equipment. Minimal set consisting of a main pipe, fittings, droppers, tubes for drainage, drip tips, timer, punch is worth no more than 3000 rubles. Separately acquired water container and submersible pump. An automatic watering system made with your own hands is the opportunity to save on buying expensive equipment.
Users of drip irrigation systems note only two minuses:
- short term service (2 to 5 years) – and that means wear as the details of the system will need to be replaced with new ones;
- the possibility of damage to the drip (hose) rodents or Pets.
The minimum set for automatic drip watering kit includes droppers, timer, fittings, plugs, valves. Submersible pump if needed, is sold separately
Correct, the automatic watering device depends on the size of the treated area. As example, consider the installation of an irrigation system on the lawn with a length of 6 meters. Suppose, on the edge of the lawn, planted flowers, the distance between them is 40 cm.
The scheme drip irrigation of small lawn, several raised beds or flower beds
Stages of Assembly equipment:
- Better to start with the tank for water intake. You can use any suitable barrel or buy a plastic tank in the store.
- The installation capacity of the submersible pump. When buying you should pay attention to the technical characteristics, the pump power should be sufficient to irrigate the whole area of the lawn.
- Joining to the pump in the main pipe (will fit pipe 16 mm in diameter). There are two versions of the pipe from the tank through the tank cap, if the pump power, or through a specially drilled hole with a diameter of 16 mm at the bottom of the tank. Inserted into the hole fitting with gasket, and in him the pipe. Reinforce the connection with sealant.
- Distributing main pipe at the 3 or 4 droppers with the help of fittings. Droppers are laid to the end of the lawn. At the end of each hose (or pipe) install plugs.
- Cuttings for watering individual shrubs – dropper run along the landing, near the root system.
- Using the hole punch in the main pipe to make the hole the dropper (ready-made options droppers marked, you just need to select – for example, 8 l/h or 12 l/hour). The droppers under the flower bushes, punch holes near each plant. With the use of additional tubes, the ends are equipped with drip tips, which are stuck near the root system.
- Set the timer, which regulates the operation of the pump. At some point it involves the flow of electricity runs the pump and the system operates a predetermined period of time. For example, you can specify the inclusion of the system in 8 hours, shutting down at 8.30. If the dropper has the options of 2 l/HR, during this period, each plant will get 1 liter of water. The timer is electronic, powered by batteries, and mechanical.
As the capacity for drip irrigation using a conventional barrel, installing it at certain height
The starting valves to connect main pipe and droppers (hose)
A timer for adjusting watering time can be purchased along with irrigation system
Also suggest you to watch a video on the topic:
Our automatic sprinklers functioned properly, it is necessary to test it, but at the same time and rinse. To do this, remove the plugs at the ends of the droppers and water. Clean water flowing from all hoses, the sign that the system is sealed and working properly. Such washing should be carried out from time to time to prevent clogging of pipes and hoses.
Visual inspection of hoses and pipes will help in time to eliminate blockages. Turning on the system, it is necessary to pass along every drip, oblivious to the wet stains around holes. Depending on the adjustment, they shall have a diameter of from 10 to 40 cm and must be identical in size. If the stain is not present or it less than the others – will have to clean or replace the drip. Puddles of water also indicate improper system operation – most likely, the sealing.
Check drip irrigation systems can be carried out in parts: it is necessary to open the starter valves only on certain hoses
The proper operation of the dripper is easy to check the size of wet spots on the ground
It may be a problem – automatic watering of the site will cease. The reason is likely to be a blockage in the flow.
- Mechanical. Pipes and hoses become clogged with suspended particles – sand, silt, undissolved fertilizers. There will be no problems if apply special filters that should be washed out periodically.
- Chemical. It occurs because of too hard water. Normal values of pH 5-7, to support them resort to acid additives recommended for watering systems.
- Biological. Blockages of this type are associated with the vital activity of organisms, which have a plaque, mucus, algae. A light chlorination and regular washing will save the equipment from biological contamination.
In the fall, at the end of the season, the watering equipment should be washed, dried and disassemble. In pipes and droppers should not be water. Electronic and mechanical devices – pumps, timers, controllers, sensors – better to move in a heated room. Hoses and pipes can be left for the winter in the soil, but the term engine is significantly reduced.
Filters for drip irrigation systems are a barrier to mechanical and biological contaminants
If at the end of the season a drip equipment washed and clean for the winter, it will last much longer
That’s all. Arranging automatic watering in the early spring with your hands, you can without hassle enjoy all the summer green lawn and lush blooming flower beds.