To a city dweller could at least occasionally on the 20th floor to breathe fresh air, people came up with the balconies. The owners of private houses or villas air rife, but still pulls to inhale it with all amenities: spread out in a rocking chair or sipping tea at an elegant table. On the ground to put the furniture is uncomfortable, let us make holes in the lawn, and the legs want some solid coverage. Such problems relieves terrace to the holiday home. It is easy to build and can be used year-round. Let’s see, what is the terrace and how it can be mounted on their own.
Some gardeners mix the concepts «veranda» and «terrace». Find out to begin with, what is their difference, because then we will consider the peculiarities of installation pool. These buildings of different purpose and structure:
- The terrace is built purely for relaxation and is an open platform on the Foundation, which can be covered by a roof.
- Veranda is created as a cool place, prevent the direct penetration of outdoor air into the house. She will always be adjacent to the front door, serving her protection, and the terrace may not be attached to the house.
- The terrace has walls. The porch is almost always closed!
- Size verandas can be minimal (only to protect the input). Terrace spacious built, so we could relax a few people.
Another building is a gazebo – also looks like a terrace, built separate from the main building. But in the gazebos are a mandatory element of the perimeter fencing. It can be wooden or a brick wall built up to half of the gazebo, railing, woven mesh, etc. In the terrace fences did not exist originally, and then there was the pillars that serve as a support for the roof. Between them are sometimes stuffed with strips, creating a sort of railing, but this element is not mandatory.
The terrace is exclusively for guests, a veranda for protection from the wind. In principle, the porch can serve as a great Seating area, but it is its secondary function
Deciding to acquire in the country a summer terrace, first determine where you put it. Here are a couple of options:
- You can attach directly to the building, making as if its continuation.
- A great option is the terrace which surrounds the house on all sides.
- Less common terrace, outside the main buildings, i.e. standing alone.
The choice of location largely depends on the location of the garden relative to the cardinal directions. If on the South side there is an exit to the street, the best option will be attached terrace. In it you will be able to relax even in winter, prehravanie sun. If the entrance to the house from the North, on the adjacent this side, the porch will be cool enough, although summer heat is very helpful. In this case, make the envelope of the building extension, so you can go for relaxation after the sun.
Outside the building terrace building usually near pools, waterfalls or other beautiful elements of the landscape, to be able to enjoy them. But if your cottage is located on the waterfront, then, without doubt, the terrace must stand at the water’s edge.
Cheaper terrace will cost, if build it with your own hands — this time, and constructed from materials left over from the main building — two. Boards, bricks, blocks, etc. can all be combined to create the base. If the material will have to buy, then pay attention to the most reliable, because your extension must be able to withstand the scorching rays and frost, UV and precipitation.
In our conditions, most use wood, because it is not heated in the heat and keep warm. Stone or brick terraces is more durable, but in the cold they turn frosty in the winter so they don’t get too comfortable.
When creating terraces the choice of geometric forms is unlimited. The easiest way to do square or rectangular design. But if you seek originality, you should take the form of a polygon, and different levels. By the way, multi-level buildings is beneficial to those that ensure good water flow during rainstorms. You when installation is slightly tilted every «step» from the building, and in the end, your terrace will not be in the puddles.
Irregular shape always win in originality over the standard rectangular
To help you understand how to build a terrace in the country, first determine its fundamental elements. Any open terrace will consist of:
- Foundation (the Foundation);
- auxiliary structures.
Of these items are required only the first two. The third varies depending on the imagination of the Creator. So there you go, all the steps.
Order of works:
- Mark the location for future construction. This hammered into the ground along the perimeter of the reinforcing pins or wooden pegs and pull them to the twine.
- Put in the corners of the temporary support (can be folded on 2 paving slabs) are stacked side lag. Roughly terrace should be located above ground in the 30-40 cm.
- Using a level, align the horizontal placing tiles construction waste (stone, pieces of brick, etc.). Please remember that logs should have a slope of about 2? from the house, so that when the rains were good drain.
- Align stretched the twine at the top edge of the joists, tightly fixing to the peg.
- Remove the logs and set about creating the Foundation. To do this, in the corners put cement columns, the height of which should coincide with a temporary support on which the previously laid logs.
- Between the posts dig a trench, fill it with cement and put him in sidewalk curbs, so that approximately half of the height was in the land. Align a level plane, wait until the concrete hardens.
- Exactly the basis to create the opposite side.
- The remaining voids around the border is covered with sand.
Instead of a curb can be poured conventional tape or pier Foundation. Also, some masters of the inner space of the terrace covered with gravel and make the system of water drainage.
In such a sequence are created as a separate and attached terraces
When installing the curb, be sure to check the level of the horizontal
Order of works:
- The bollards and curbs are placed the joists and fix with screws.
- Mark where to attach the boards.
- Spread the bars, connecting them to the joists corners.
- Plank boards. If you use an ordinary tree, it is better to buy larch, because it is ideally suited for outdoor conditions. Often taking a Board with a width of 10-15 cm and a thickness of 2-3. 5 cm Staley boards are not back to back, and maintaining clearance for ventilation. This will help the terrace to avoid rotting.
- Trim the edges of the flooring jigsaw.
- Paint or paintable coating.
Please note that if, instead of planks will be laid the decking, then start laying from the wall, stepping back 1 cm from the building.
The process of assembling the frame. It is best to buy a screwdriver for such work — it will significantly reduce the time
Between boards, leave space for ventilation and exit of precipitation
The edge will be smooth and even, if to correct him jigsaw
To the auxiliary constructions to include all that allows to make arrangement of terraces at the cottage more comfortable. It can be the roof, railing or fencing, pergolas for flowers and even a swing. It is the extra elements make the terrace the cottage is beautiful, unlike similar buildings from the neighbors.
The most popular of the additional elements of the roof remains. It provides protection from natural factors and the flooring. If the terrace is attached to the cottage, that often mount the same roof covering to the main building.
Covered with the same material as the main building, the terrace becomes harmonious continuation of the home
Equally popular roof made of polycarbonate. They do not require strong Foundation. Enough the corners of the structure to cement pillars made of timber or asbestos.
More difficult is «green» roof. It is erected to create an additional landscape effect, planting the plants and thinking through their composition. But note that for normal growth of plantations is necessary to build a high level of land to make a drainage layer, waterproofing, and this requires a strong Foundation. Otherwise, one moment heavy, the roof will collapse on the heads of their owners. Near terraces four pillars is not enough. You will have to put support at the perimeter of the structure and to strengthen the crate.
If the facility is used mostly in the summer, you can make a removable roof. It represents a fabric canopy (awnings), which is sold in finished form. Marquis extends and retracts under the roof of the house manually or automatically. And if the terrace stands alone, then fixed with metal struts. Fabric awnings – acrylic, reinforced Teflon coating. She’s not afraid of neither the rain nor the scorching rays.
Fabric canopies (awnings) can be pulled and pushed manually or automatically
Some owners use in the design of the terrace, folding umbrellas, not bothering to installation of the roof. In principle, to create shade on a summer day such option is more than enough, especially if you rest there only occasionally.
If the terrace is located between the buildings, then you can do folding umbrella, because of shadows and so lacking
To give your garden design some flavor, the easiest way to decorate a area flower arrangements. It can be a basket, potted plants, planted around the perimeter of evergreen shrubs. If planted on the most windy side of a number of TUI, then, in addition to decorative effect, they will protect from winds.
To give the area a certain closeness hung tulle, spreading them out or putting it in bundles, depending on the mood.
Making a tulle often used in terraces, Mediterranean style
Of furniture often use wicker or rattan because their structure is not afraid of weather conditions, and the appearance is light and not clutter the space.
Each host comes up with interesting ways to decorate the terrace in the country. Why in the world no two identical buildings.