- The choice of plastic panels for finishing the toilet
- Preparation for the installation of plastic panels
- A list of necessary materials for finishing the toilet
- A list of necessary tools for finishing the toilet
- The preparation of the base under the plastic panel
- Installation of wooden sheathing under the plastic panel
- Installation of plastic panels in the toilet
- Installation of decorative elements on the plastic panels
Repairs in the apartment made with your own hands, is always the pride of any home worker. But what if there is absolutely no experience in the construction and decoration?
In this case, a complex space such as the living room or kitchen, it is better not to touch, and to work out, completely, can finish on the toilet. First, it is the smallest room in the apartment and there is a great variety of finishing materials. Besides, if nothing happens, you can contact the experts, and they’ll do it again, without noticeable damage to the wallet.
The most common material for finishing the toilet is a plastic panel, and not only in the simplicity of their installation, there are a number of advantages that speak in favor of this option:
- A wide variety of colors and patterns that are perfect for finishing the toilet.
- Easy to follow-up care. Panels, plastic, completely not afraid of water and detergents.
- Minimal financial costs for finishing work, even taking into account all the necessary components.
- There is no need for a huge number of tool. Everything you need to trim toilet plastic panels there are any DIY.
As is often the case, due to the high demand for plastic panels, on the market there are many unscrupulous manufacturers. To the eye to determine the quality of plastic is very difficult, and the ordinary buyer, they all look the same. But it is not, and in order to avoid becoming a victim of fraud, saving on the quality of their products, you need to follow a few simple tips:
- PVC used in the manufacture of panels for finishing the toilet, must contain additives which improve its elasticity. The less you have, the more brittle the plastic becomes. It is possible to define in a simple way – you need to take cover at a distance of fully outstretched arms and start to bend until you feel strong resistance. High quality plastic can be bent into a ring, the worse the quality, the less the bending radius.
- Plastic panels for finishing the toilet should not emit any smells. If they pose a persistent «aroma» chemistry, from such manufacturer is better to give up. In the closed space of the dressing room, it will become even more noticeable, besides the inhalation of poor quality PVC has a negative impact on health.
- You should not choose a panel of large width, first, their installation will be a lot of scraps that need to be thrown out, and secondly, they are thinner, the easier to put them on the level.
- Be sure when you purchase panels to finish the toilet, you need to ask the seller a certificate of quality and compliance. High quality plastic contains additives, fire barriers, while negligent manufacturers often save. The failure of seller, for any reason, show the necessary documentation – an occasion to reflect and look for another store.
- Buying a plastic panel for the toilet, you need to carefully inspect each. Very often sellers try to put inside of a pack with a few defective panels that are not sold. Finding home marriage, exchange of goods will be not easy, as the shop can claim that it is the result of incorrect transportation.
Done properly, selection panel for the toilet, already 50 percent the key to a successful repair. It is much easier to spend an extra hour at the store than to redo all the trim in the next year, or even earlier.
If at the end of repair will be that the original calculations were wrong, the same exact panels in the store may not be.
Good master, any repair begins with preparatory work and making lists of all you need. If you do not, you may have no time to run to the hardware store for missing materials or tools. Often, it takes much more time than all the repairs, especially when it comes to such a small room like a toilet.
- Plastic panel with a small margin.
- Decorative elements: corners, baseboards. Also need to take stock.
- Wooden beams with a maximum thickness of 2 cm is determined by calculating the unit horizontally, with a distance of about 30-50 cm.
- Impregnation for wood, prevents rot and brush for its application.
- Primer for walls with antibacterial effect and roller for application.
- Dowels with a diameter of 6 mm and a length of 60-80 mm.
- Clamps for construction stapler.
- Glue for plastic. You will need to install external decorative parts.
- Screws for wood. Need to finish the riser in the bathroom plastic panels.
- Plastic film or thick fabric to protect the plumbing in the toilet.
- Hammer drill or drill mode impact and drill them to the chosen anchors.
- Pencil, tape measure.
- Hacksaws for wood and plastic, or jig.
- Sharp construction knife.
- Metal spatula. You will need to remove the old paint from the walls, if it is.
- Construction stapler.
- Level with horizontal and vertical pointers.
When both lists are assembled and all you need for finishing the toilet is at hand, you can begin to work.
The quality and durability of any finish, largely depends on the training grounds. In contrast to the more complex rooms in the apartment, the decoration of the toilet does not take a lot of time and effort, so each step should be given special attention. Today it is better to spend two extra hours than to redo everything.
First and foremost, you need to completely clean walls and ceiling in the bathroom of the old finish or paint. This is done with the help of a spatula and a light hammer, which rattle the surface. Coating useless, immediately disappear.
Next, prepare the sticks. They need to saw the desired length based on horizontal mounting to the wall. When all wooden elements are ready, they are treated with preservatives and take out to dry on the balcony or stairwell.
And while the sticks dry, it is time to continue prepping the walls in the toilet at the finish. They need abundant to primer—antiseptic, it prevents the formation of mold and harmful mildew. The impregnation is done with a foam roller. For complete drying, at room temperature, takes about an hour, and then you can take a short break and take a breath.
When the walls in the toilet and the wood is completely dry, you can begin to mount. First fixed bar a couple of inches above the floor, around the perimeter of the toilet room. Similarly, missing a beam and the ceiling.
If the ceiling in the bathroom will also get rid of the plastic panels, the crate need and technology mount no different from a wall:
- The bar is applied to the surface, and with the gun drilled hole through the wood into the Seine. The first attachment should be about five cm from the edge. Clogged hole in the dowel. Similarly, the second edge is attached. Now that the bar is fixed, it is further strengthen with a step of 30-50 cm between dowels.
- When the bars on the perimeter of a toilet room installed, using a measuring tape, measure the distance between the lower and upper plate. Is divided into two, exactly in the middle of the wall is attached to another beam.
- The resulting two plots, again divided in half, and again raises the bar. Do this for as long as the distance between the rails will be approximately 50 cm.
- Certain difficulties may arise with communications, which also need to trim the plastic panels. To do this, from the same block as the crate made boxes, which are attached to the wall and floor of the toilet. To connect the rods between the screws on wood.
Learn more about how this is done, you can see in the video
Before install the plastic panel, it is necessary at the corners of the toilet and to the ceiling to attach the rails moldings.
All finishing trims are attached with staples to the bars
Installation of plastic panels in the toilet with your hands, always start from the left edge and the ridge to the corner. When using a construction stapler in the corner tongue and groove on the other side of the panel, are driven mounting brackets.
The second plastic panel inserted in the first slot and its crest is also fixed braces for each hardwood rail. All installation steps are clearly shown in the video
After the walls of the toilet fully sewn panels, trim boxes, closing communication. Here, perhaps, every panel will have to cut the length, then these places will be covered with decorative corners.
Similarly, installation of plastic panels on the ceiling of the toilet. But here it is important to make holes in the places of the lamps, and the output electric wire.
The easiest way to use the decoration of the toilet outer corners, they are much easier to install and are not inferior in quality to those in which it is necessary to insert plastic panels.
The area applied glue to plastic and is applied to the junction of the panels. Good glue harden in just a few seconds, so it is important time to glue the area until dry.
Using the same adhesive, are fixed to floor and ceiling moldings. Possible excess glue removed with a soft cloth, and that trim toilet plastic panels with your own hands can be considered finished.
It remained for the installation of the necessary accessories and lamps, but that’s a topic for another discussion.
As can be seen in the decoration of the toilet panels with your own hands is not what Mr. complicated. All phases of repair will take a maximum of two days. Even if it is the first self-repairs in the apartment, it will provide invaluable experience, and perhaps the next step will be more complex facilities, which also require repair and finishing.
And in order to avoid the most common mistakes in bathroom renovation, you can watch the video