The difference between a balcony and a loggia is reflected in the value of the property. So often, this difference is only important for builders and individuals involved in the sale or purchase of real estate. Ordinary people use these spaces regardless of their names and often do not even think about their differences.
Balconies and loggias can be made to potentially the right things or be used as a little extra room. However, substitution of concepts and ignorance of terminology that can lead the layman to financial losses.
The average Builder can easily explain how to determine that before the eyes: balcony or loggia.
The first thing you need to pay attention to the fact that the balcony is always a protrusion from the wall of the house. The concept of balcony derived from the word «beam». The first balcony was only pinned tabs. Later, they began to enclose on the sides.
With loggia all too obvious – this part of the house, often bearing structure. None of the building codes do not approve of the demolition of load-bearing walls, so it is logical to assume that the balconies have a more fixed character than the balconies. Moreover, recently in the post-Soviet space here and there are heard cases of collapses of balconies on old buildings due to overload. But more on that later. The word loggia is of Italian origin and translates as a room or a gazebo. Therefore, loggia is considered to be the prerogative of the buildings belonging to the aristocracy.
That’s all the external differences loggias and balconies.
- When calculating the approximate cost of accommodation with balcony or loggia determining value is the total area of the property. In the calculation of this indicator is square with a balcony indicates a reduction factor of 0.3, and with loggia is 0.5. This relates primarily to premises standard sizes.
- The size of the balcony is clearly limited, and the loggia can always be increased by reducing an adjoining room. In the latter case, everything depends on the architect or designer rooms. This takes into account the minimum acceptable amount of natural light that reaches the room.
Options decorative solutions and the use of balconies and loggias you can see in the video
- Due to the fact that the side walls of the loggia, as a rule, capital — it’s easy to turn into a small room or veranda with Seating area.
With a balcony, this will not work: it is not designed for heavy loads. Heavy furniture and interior finish can greatly worsen the condition of the fixings of the balcony. The carrying capacity of the balconies is higher than the balcony, because the pinching plate is present on three sides.
- The law prohibits any tampering with loggias and balconies, which can negatively affect the appearance of the building. So property owners with unusual historic facades should not even think about glazing and redevelopment of these areas to your liking.
- Well, the most important difference in the nature of these building elements: balcony – hanging structure, and the loggia deeply embedded. Because of this loggia is much easier to insulate than a balcony.
- The loggia is often confused with T. n. «French» balcony. This is due to the fact that the usual ledge of the balcony missing. A French balcony is more reminiscent of a wide window or a door with bars. This balcony is not square, and therefore does not affect the value of the property.
- Misled by the popular builders of the loggia. Half of this room placed in a building and half of the ledge.
- Both rooms can be glazed. And you can leave intact.
All these details should be taken into account when carrying out major repairs and the decision on the extension of the area due to the balcony or loggia.