First it appeared hydrangea krupnolistaya in Europe. It happened at the end of the XVIII century. Her French explorers brought from the island of Mauritius, located in the Indian Ocean. Participants in this first voyage of exploration for the French was the Prince of the Roman Empire KG Nassau-Siegen. It is believed that he called beautiful plant in honor of his beloved sister.
Krupnolistaya hydrangea was born on the islandMauritius and appeared in Europe for the first French circumnavigation expedition. Such beauty can not be ignored even in a luxurious garden of the governor
However, other sources claim that histhe name of the bush was in honor of the beloved French physician F. Commerson. There are not so romantic version of the appearance of the name: shrub was discovered in the governor's garden. That's called it in honor of this event in Latin hortensis, which means "from the garden".
Otherwise the moisture-loving shrub called hydrant. In Greek hydor means "water" and angeion - "vessel." And it was not just that the shrub needs frequent watering, but also that its seed pods are like a vessel - a pitcher. But more pleasing to the ear the name gradually prevailed over Latin.
Family hydrangeaceae (Hydrangeaceae) includesseveral dozens of varieties of this plant. Until now, the exact number is not defined, because some instances cause disagreements among experts. Most often it is a flowering shrub has attractive large leaves. But sometimes it is also called, and vines, and even small trees.
Surprisingly, it also twine plant is a species of hydrangea. It looks very impressive on the outside walls of houses in areas with a mild climate
As a rule, form paniculate hydrangeaor corymbose inflorescences that bloom at the ends of shoots. In their edges are located large sterile (sterile) flowers, and in the center - a small fertile, ie fruiting. For some species the flowers are fruit-bearing: they form a large and very attractive balls.
The petals of this shrub are quitea variety of colors: they are white, pink, blue, red, purple and even blue. They are able to please any gardener, gourmet. But the leaves they are not inferior in its appeal. they grow large, juicy and bright With proper care. From a beauty difficult to give up.
Large and eye-catching flowers, located on the perimeter of the inflorescence, successfully complete minor, but fruiting, which form a central part of
Usually planted in open ground following types: broom, tree, ground cover, garden, radiant, ash, serrate, petiolate, krupnolistye and rough. Let us dwell on those species that are most popular in Russian gardens.
Of course, such an inflorescence is called panicle, andshe hydrangea - paniculate. Whisk really like the soft ice cream, embossed in a waffle cup. It has a conical form, consists of both large and small of colors. It has a length of 20-25 cm.
Different varieties paniculate hydrangea (left to right): upper row - grandiflora or Pee Gee, Limelight, bottom row - Pinky Winky, Phantom
At the beginning of the flowering plants have white petalscolor, gradually they begin to turn pink, and before the end of the season, added a little greenish tone to the overall scheme. Such a change of colors characteristic of this amazing bush. Its leaves are elliptical. From above they are covered with velvety fuzz. More strongly they are pubescent underneath.
A little more varieties paniculate hydrangea (left to right): upper row - Vanilla Frazee, Daymont Rouge, bottom row - Great Star, White Lady
Flowering species is distinguished by its paniculateduration. It begins with the early varieties in June and July with the arrival of this process covers all varieties. What are the varieties of this flower planted in Russia?
- Grandiflora or Pee Gee. This variety is quite common to find it in old gardens. Her tightly packed florets consist exclusively of sterile flowers.
- Limelight. This shrub can reach a height of 1.2-1.6 meters. There is also a smaller version of its Little Lime, up to 1 m in height. Its pyramidal panicles greenish just turn pink before the end of the season.
- Pinky Winky. This variety has a height of 1.5-1.8 meters. It features delicate buds with large flowers, which will eventually become purplish-pink.
- Phantom. This shrub grows to a height of 2.5 meters. Because of the spreading crown it should be given a little more room. Its creamy panicles gradually turn pink.
- Vanilla Frazee. Its panicles are very similar to vanilla and strawberry ice cream. Sam grows up to 2 meters height. Quality CNC Sunday - his half reduced copy.
- Daymont Rouge. If you still have not met a variety with red petals, then this is it. The plant reaches 1.5-1.8 meters in height.
- Great Star. Large petals of this variety are connected in the shape of a propeller and seemed to hover over the total weight of the smaller ones. It is a spectacular six-foot bush.
- White Lady. This variety is somewhat reminiscent of jasmine. In the bush 2 meters tall snow-white petals look like a butterfly, which is about to fly up.
- Ed Weems. Great variety, which is three times the flowers change their color for the season. In June, they are white, then turn pink and, finally, to acquire the autumn saturated maroon-red color.
Enumerate all grades paniculate hydrangea does not make sense, but, believe me, she is delicate in all its incarnations and variations. There is something to choose and work with pleasure.
Inflorescences hydrangeas often change their color throughout the season, but Weems Red - an amazing variety of plants: it changes the colors of its flowers twice during the flowering period
Tree hydrangea is also capable of transferringour difficult climatic conditions. Freeze it only in the most severe winters. Despite the name, it's still a bush, and it grows in height of about 1.5 meters. His large ovate leaves are at the base of the recess, like a stylized heart, and the indent on the edges. The surface of green leaf and its flip side - blue-gray.
Here are some names:
- Hayes Starberst. Its inflorescences are composed of large double flowersfirst greenish, and later - a bright white shade. Their diameter can reach 25 cm. Sometimes thin branches of the bush just can not stand such gravity.
- Inkerdiboll. White flowering bush balls on this are staggering for its giant size. The plant itself is raised by only 1.2-1.5 meters.
- Invinsibell Spirit. Intensely pink shade of large flower clusters over time, like fade in the sun, gradually acquiring the noble pallor.
- White House. The large flowers are creamy-white color bordered by guard, the interior of which is composed of fertile flowers. Maximum height of the bush - only 1-1.4 m.
Of course, this list does not reflect the total wealth of choice: it just lifts the veil that hides still many mysterious beauties.
Different varieties of the tree hydrangea (left to right): upper row - Hayes Starberst, Inkerdiboll, bottom row - Invinsibell Spirit and the White House
This species of hydrangea blossoms loosealso have a shield shape. Large flowers are located on the edges, and small form center. But the most surprising in the bush - it rhizomes and suckers, which grow on the shoots. With their help, he is able to climb the wall of knowledge to a height of 25 meters. Broad green leaves like a cover wall, forming a single panel.
Chereshkovaya hydrangea can be used not only as a graceful climber, but also as an excellent ground cover plants
Unfortunately, the kind of stemmed not tolerate oursevere winters. If the Baltic countries it can be left on the supports, then we will not only remove but also to hide. However, as an excellent groundcover it also can be widely used.
This plant - a frequent guest on nationalareas, which always pleases a variety of colors. Various forms of her not only the flowers, but the buds. The only drawback of this beauty is the need to cover it in winter. Can also be frozen, and sopret if her cover seems redundant.
If she podmerznet fall or early spring, andthen still gone, the damage can be just the flower buds. Therefore, it is better to let grow it in a greenhouse, and only then planted in open ground. Autumn again let peresidit in the greenhouse, and even in the winter it will have to move to live in the basement.
This type of hydrangeas you can not only buy in the tub, but also to put right with the tub: so it will be easier in future to carry the greenhouse and in the basement
It is believed that the best landing of seedlingstime is spring or autumn, but even in summer these shrubs can be planted. To this end, it is important to get them in a pot or in the tub to the root system has been closed. However, in order not to risk, it is better to choose a spring planting.
It is better if the bush is middaystay in the shade or partial shade. Scorching sun and drought it suffers very badly. The landing site should be created a special regime of the soil. Soil should give an acid reaction. To create it in the landing pit is placed peat or special pochvosmes for azaleas. Well suited mixture of peat and compost or leaf mold in equal parts. Compost can be exchanged for potassium sulphate and superphosphate.
When planting hydrangeas is necessary not only to prepare the ground well, but also to guess the weather: night frosts can damage the whole plant or only flower buds
Digs a hole 50 cm deep. Its length and width -. At least 60 cm The soil should be loose and permeable, so that the seedlings do not have problems with breathing. To the future was quite lush bush, the roots should be just before planting shorten and shoots cut to 3-4 buds.
Seedling was placed in the soil and then watered, and onlythen placed around the peat mulch. For mulch film is suitable and sawdust, paper and burlap, compost and pine needles, straw and even expanded clay. So in the upper layers of the soil remain valid air mode. When planting as a hedge between the seedlings need to leave at least 2-3 meters distance. In this case, the bushes are not strangle each other, when will grow.
The way you care for your hydrangea, and it will delight you from spring to late autumn.
- The soil. At 5-7 cm soil should be periodically loosen. Do not forget to pour the new mulch.
- Watering. At the root area of the soil must be dry. Watering needs only warm water, which has to defend.
- Feeding. Twice a month, arrange fertilizer organic or chemical fertilizers.
- Supports. Under the weight of the balls of flowering branches can break.
- Trimming. Older shrubs should rejuvenate. To this end, in late October, producing crop. If the shoots are weak or old, they need to be removed completely. Other cut to one or two pairs of kidneys. In the spring pruning is necessary to spend more time - remove podmerzshie winter branches. The upper part of the shoots of the previous year can not be cut off.
Once again I remind you that in direct sunlightHydrangea rays can survive, but will look like it does not matter. She will lag behind in development and growth, will give small and ugly inflorescences. Therefore, it needs shade or partial shade.
Cut the hydrangea in the spring should be especially careful not to damage the flower buds and leave themselves for the long term without the wonderful holiday of flowering plants
For more information about the care, pruning and wintering See the video:
Beauty is not enough, therefore, sooner or later, it will want to propagate. How to do it?
- Seeds. Collect seeds. In the open ground they can be planted in May or late April. If all goes well, the first flowering bush should wait only two years later.
- Division. Large bush may be divided. It is better to do this spring, while in autumn the new hive has become strong.
- Cuttings. This procedure will be needed this year, cuttings. After 20-25 days they are already taking root.
The easiest and fastest way to propagate hydrangea - it cuttings. The result will be received within 20-25 days, and by the fall of the plant become strong enough
As you can see, with all the capriciousness of this plant,since it can and must deal. Having done everything correctly, you will enjoy a wonderful view of the garden. And you will be proud to have such a beauty with his own hands.