Phlox drummondii was brought to Europe from Texas. Phlox - translated as "flame», drummondii - from the name of the British explorer Henry Drummond, to send me the first seeds of this plant from the USA to England and thus opened a new flower for the Europeans.
Most phlox - perennials. But, unlike Drummond, they are tall, so use perennials in borders, rock gardens or rabatkah complicated. But their annual "brother" does not grow higher than half a meter, and the bulk of the varieties of the flower is about 30 cm diameter - 2 cm., But he did not think a little, because the flowers are collected in corymbose or umbellate inflorescence, giving a beautiful shape bush. Blossoms long, from June until late autumn.
The form of annual flowers Drummond phlox much more effective and more diverse than that of perennial paniculate "brothers" for his love and gardeners
Drummond phlox varieties differ in the shape of a flower, each petal and painting plants. The most popular are:
- «Buttons» - a series of two-colored phlox, flowers which are in the middle, "the eye." Low-growing (up to 20 cm in height), drought-resistant.
- Varieties of "Milky Way" and "Starry Lace" is appreciated for the unique shape of a flower, like a star.
- "Chanel" and "Strawberries and cream" different terry lush flowers.
- "The Tetra Riesen" and "grandiflora" - rare tetraploid varieties with large up to 4 cm in diameter flowers, resistant to cold.
Colours phlox Drummond is enormous: from pure white tones to blue-purple. The most common varieties of salmon and pastel.
In the variety Tetra Riesen - tetraploid set of chromosomes (increased twice), because of what the plant has large flower shape and high survival in all conditions
To phlox bloom lasted as long as possible andwas abundant, he has to find the right place in the garden. Annual phlox well tolerate heat and drought, so it can be planted in open areas, where there are no shadows. Successfully plant stand and early frosts. Frost spoils the only flower petals, and the rest of the aboveground part is green. An increase in temperature will continue blooming until the stable low night temperatures.
But there are two factors, which are harmful to the development ofDrummond phlox. It's too heavy and light sandy soils. First accumulate a lot of moisture, because of what annuals root system affected all sorts of rot. If the ground is too light, unable to retain moisture in the hot summer it is too hot, which also negatively affects the roots of phlox. Therefore, in preparing the flower beds need to adjust the composition of the soil, making the corresponding components (peat, humus, humus, etc.).
The plant is able to bloom continuously from early June until October, when his time to feed and remove the flowers after they have withered
Phlox can be planted in two ways: seeds in soil or seedlings grown on a windowsill. The first option saves summer resident from the hassle of caring for seedlings, but seedlings growing home accelerates flowering time. Already in June the young plants begin to bloom.
If you do not have the ability or time to let grow phlox on a windowsill, sow its seeds directly into the ground.
The first of May - the most successful time for sowing. Do the shallow grooves, spill them and wait until the moisture is absorbed. Phlox seeds spread on 2-3 things at one point, leaving between planting distance of 15 cm If the nest ascend all 3 seeds -. Weak pinch off.
Prior to the inputs (and it lasts for about twoweeks) it is necessary to hide planting lutrasilom or spunbond to soil moisture was kept. Once the shoots appear - the soil loosened, remove the excess seedlings and bring the liquid nitrogen fertilizer. A week later, fertilizing with nitrogen is repeated.
When flower buds begin to form - make complex fertilizers (2-3 times per season). The first flowers appear at Drummond in July.
Once in the center of phlox flower buds begin to form - Feed the plant complex fertilizer, to add force to the luxuriant bloom
In addition to the spring sowing, can be planted under phloxwinter, because its seeds have good resistance to frost. But there is a caveat - when lengthy thaws seeds are pre-start to growth, then will be spoiled returning frosts. To avoid this, the autumn sowing is carried out only after being dropped from the last cherry tree leaf (this national sign!). If inadvertently return zero temperature - flower bed covered with non-woven fabric to he is not thawed out in the sun. Once again the weather will be cold, remove the cover.
If the winter is warm in your area - it is better to sowphlox in late December - January. To do this, the fall in the back room left half a bucket of humus. In December, waiting for heavy snow to the ground completely hidden under the snow. Properly trample down the rows, in which the plants will be sown, and poke 3-4 seeds in one nest.
Sprinkle the seeds with dry black earth, and the top layer of snow shoveling throw (at least 20 cm). Under this blanket of snow until the spring of phlox slumber and begin to wake up around April.
When planting the seeds directly into the ground phlox flowers first bloom at the end of May, and in cold areas - after June 10
To enjoy the flowering bushes in late May - will have to tinker with seedlings:
- Seeds are planted in boxes in March (in warm areas - at the beginning of the month, in the cold - after the 20th day). Do not force the seeds in the ground, but only sprinkle the ground. So they quickly germinate.
- Capacity cover film to preserve moisture, but aired daily.
- When the sprouts (7-8 day), the film is removed, put the boxes in well-lit place and ensure that the soil does not dry up.
- When there will be 2 of these leaves - diving phlox in individual pots. Even if the plant went up slightly - their dive, since the root system, then it will be easier to settle down in the ground.
- Once the seedlings take root - fed it with nitrogen. Water the seedlings without fanaticism, moderately, to avoid the conditions for the development of blackleg and root rot.
- To phlox formed a compact and lush bush, the tip should be prischipnut. This is done after the seedlings have otrastet 6 leaves.
- If you are planted several varieties of phloxDrummond and want them to bloom at the same time, you need a higher species (40-50 cm) to sow a week earlier undersized (30 cm). So you will level timing of flowering.
- In April, conducted tempering plants, exposing pots outside. First, for an hour or two and gradually increase the time.
- The soil grown plants are planted in May, after the last frost. Usually, at this time the dwarf varieties have time to form buds.
Flowering begins at planting seedlings in thethe end of May. If you just remove the faded blossoms and conduct regular comprehensive feeding, the intervals between the waves will not bloom. For good ventilation roots loosening carried out at least 1 time per week.
Do not expose the newly hatched seedlings on the windowsill, or bright sun can burn the young leaves and slow the development of phlox
The appearance of two of these leaves - a signal to what is necessary raspikirovat phlox in individual pots for seedlings, nutrient-filled soil
Feed the nitrogen fertilizer phlox start only after the plant take root in the soil and release a few new leaves
If you have mastered the rules of planting and care of phlox Drummond, bought in stores, you can stock up on their own in autumn seeds.
First of all, note somehow duringflowering each variety. You can stick to the stem of self-adhesive tags, which are sold in rolls, writing on each grade number (in a separate notebook indicating what sort of phlox is under what number). Some gardeners knit ribbon on the stems or threads of different colors.
Well, if at the time of the landing of the seeds you storepay attention to the information package. Plants marked for the future of F1 seed collection are not suitable, as it is hybrid. Among them will never grow phlox, similar to the sort from which you have collected them. But as an experiment can be planted with hybrid seeds collected somewhere in an inconspicuous place area. It happens that grow flowers with unusual color or shape of the petals that do not retain the attributes of the variety, but in itself is quite spectacular.
Get high-quality seed in the home of F1 hybrids and tetraploid varieties is almost impossible, since the seeds do not retain signs of "parent"
Bags without tagging F1 Planted separately,so it is with these plants and then collect the seeds. During flowering podmette most lush and well-blooming phlox. Of these, get a good seed.
At Drummond phlox seeds ripen almostall at the same time, so after shedding petals can be cut at the root of a plant and laid on ripening in a warm place (23-25 degrees) with no direct sunlight.
To collect seeds is best to choose a dry sunny day. Cut off phlox afternoon to completely dry on the petals of the morning dew.
Prepared flowers laid out on sheetsnewspapers, each variety separately and allowed to dry. Typically, green mass dries completely in 3 weeks. To drying was uniform, it is necessary periodically to mix colors. The signal for that phlox is completely dry, is the dry stalk, which is easily broken in the hands.
Then do so:
- Dried inflorescence carefully ground into the hands ofon clean paper to spilled seed pods. At the annual phlox seeds visible, so you will see all of them fell or not. You can immerse plants in a linen bag and trampled underfoot.
- All large debris is removed by hand. On paper it should remain dry weight of the leaves, seeds and dust mixed.
- To separate the seeds from the mass, usingsieve with a mesh of different factions. First - with more to weed out large debris, and then - with small to remove dust. As a result, the table will be the seed material mixed with debris of the same faction.
- Remove unnecessary trends is possible by seed. To do this on a windy day, spread out on the grass wide sheet and slowly pour it out of the bowl seeds. Keep the container about three feet off the ground. Phlox seeds fall on the sheet, and a light wind will blow debris. Houses such a procedure can be carried out using a hair dryer.
After all the above steps peeled seeds dispersed on paper or cloth bags, signing, where some sort, and hide in a dark dry place for storage.
Experienced gardeners know that you can extend the bloom nearly a month, if you use the following tricks:
- When the heat flowerbed zamulchirovat sawdust or bark, to reduce the temperature in the soil.
- Loose soil must be carefully and without penetration, since the root system phlox superficial and easily damaged.
- Phlox do not like drafts, so the north side of the flower bed should be protected or pine tall perennials.
- Phlox perfectly respond to yeastfeeding. If the home is moldy bread - soak it in water (a bucket on a loaf, 100 grams -. Per liter) and let stand day. Ready to Feed the plants with a solution. Remains prikopat bread into the ground.
As the brightness and color of the original form of flowersDrummond phlox is not inferior to such recognized beauties-annuals like petunias, salvia, aster. Just one bag of seeds flowerbed transform beyond recognition!