- Variety of decorative plaster
- Preparatory work
- Step 1 – surface preparation
- Step 2 – applying the base layer
When you do the repair and it is time to carry out decorative finishes of walls, the question immediately arises, what material to use for this purpose. I want to be beautiful and not difficult and with minimal costs. To date, manufacturers offer a lot of finishing materials. They all differ in their composition, method of application, price and performance. One of the best materials, which for many years is very popular is decorative plaster. The material is quite efficient, durable, practical, beautiful and easy to handle. Decorative plaster is a popular choice for such work. But, not everyone has the opportunity to buy it. If you want to perform a decorative treatment of walls without the funds available, then this is the material for you.
We will review lessons and instructional videos to learn how to make decorative plaster from a simple putty. This is a budget option to reduce costs. All the same, the result will please you.
For starters, let’s see what are the different types of decorative plaster. Due to the different composition and final result, products for the treatment of the walls can be divided into the following classes:
- Structural plaster with inclusions («coat», «woodworm»). Has a peculiar appearance. Due to the inclusions, share fine-grained and coarse-grained plaster. The grain size is in the range of 0.6–3 mm.
- Textured plaster, to make the surface smooth bump. Quite ductile and easy to work with. After applying the mixture it is formed into various shapes and effects, panels, bas-relief, etc. Then the surface coated with a paint or tintable.
- Venetian plaster imitating marble surface. Is universal, can achieve simulating valuable breeds of a stone, and you can create design drawings and original decoration on the surface. At work there are some difficulties to apply the material should be in several layers, wipe it and treat.
If you are familiar with the construction business, had already encountered such types, and maybe even worked on their application. But how to make decorative plaster one of these types, using an ordinary putty? You will learn it then.
For starters, you need to prepare the necessary tools and materials for work. The list of standard, as for normal operation with putty:
- gypsum plaster;
- a set of spatulas of different sizes;
- the plumb and level of the building;
- brush on metal;
- mixer for preparing a mixture of:
- trowel mixture;
- float and trowel the trowel;
- the material for the formation of various surfaces (more later).
Having this simple Arsenal of tools, you can make the surface as you please. All the work can be divided into several key stages:
- Surface preparation for plastering.
- Applying a primary layer.
- The formation of different textures and structures in one way or another.
In principle, a simple job if you’ve worked with plaster, there’s nothing special you will not have. And the one who is doing everything for the first time, you need to follow the instructions carefully adhering technology. In addition, you will help video tutorials for making decorative plaster from putty.
Perhaps, without this step can not do. Plaster should be applied on clean walls with no visible defects and cracks. The preparatory work are as follows:
- Cleaning the surface of the old coating. It can be Wallpaper, paint, old plaster or other finish. For convenience, use the spatula and brush on metal. They’ll help to get rid of all the excess.
- Inspect the walls. All the cracks, defects and cracks you want to crumble up (increase) and filled with plaster.
- Using a plumb-line and level of construction, measure the roughness. Large differences and deepening the better to cover up and align the rule. Wait for drying.
- The final stage of the preparation walls is the application of the base coat which will improve adhesion and properties of the applied material.
Now is the time to do 1 base coat. But first you have to prepare the plaster for the job. You will need a bucket or other container, mixer, water and the very dry mixture.
The packaging indicates the cooking instructions and proportions. The process is as follows:
- in a bucket filled with water;
- there is filled with putty and mixed with a mixer;
- now leave the mixture for 5-10 minutes for curing;
- again mix the contents and get to work.
Ready plaster is the consistency should resemble sour cream, non-liquid and without lumps.
Now, using the spatula, you need to apply a layer of plaster on the wall and run the plastering. The mixture the surface is stretched evenly (you can use a rule).
As soon as the plaster is applied, you can proceed to the formation of patterns, textures and texture.
Now the most important thing – the decorative plaster of the usual filler. Depending on the desired texture and pattern, the technology will change. To give the surface a decorative appearance, you will need the following tools:
- cushion, textured or plain;
- ready-made templates;
- brush, notched trowel, trowel;
- the usual plastic bag.
What to do with them? One method is to use the roller. Without waiting, when the applied plaster is dry, just take a roller over the wall, and vertical movements. This forms a pattern resembling a ruffled velour. Remember, the harder you press the cushion, the more irregularities will be formed. For the best effect of the roller can be tied to Takano or cellophane. And to make the picture on the wall, just purchase a roller with the texture. From the video posted below, you will see the principle of work and the end result.
Another method – fish scales. Nothing complicated. It all comes down to proper application of plaster. It is overlaid with a spatula pieces smooth. Simply place the spatula for a few seconds to the surface and pull it to make an uneven surface. We invite you to watch a video on how to put all of in life.
Brush is another simple method to make a regular plaster decorative. The essence of the work that caused the putty is a little dry, but not dry completely. Then, using the brush, slide it over the surface, creating furrows. You can do them straight, circular, semicircular, diagonal – it all depends on the desires and fantasies.
To give texture suitable notched trowel, cellophane, usually a sponge – all that you can make a pattern. In skilled hands, simple plaster can turn into a work of art.
Left to wait for the drying (24 hours). Then the surface should be smoothed with sandpaper or a grater. But, just a white surface looks not so effectively, so the wall you want to paint. Select the appropriate color and apply it in 2 layers with a roller. Then, after drying, treat the surface with a colourless varnish. That’s it, job done.
You got a beautiful face with minimum cost. Another method of application of decorative plaster out of the ordinary putty, you will see from the video.