- Preparation of premises
- Necessary tools and materials
- The procedure for application of polyurethane foam
Use of the free area of the attic can be different. The days when this place served as a warehouse for storing unnecessary items, leave in the past. More and more owners of buildings prefer to equip under the roof of the cozy loft and to arrange additional living space. To implement your plans, you will need to insulate the roof. What material is best suited for these purposes and what is the process of attic insulation, we examine in detail.
For quality insulation of the attic is necessary to study the characteristics of the applied material. From the point of view of environmental safety foam occupies a leading position among other insulators. In the course of further operation it has no adverse effect on the body in the room of people. The essential advantage of the PPU when choosing the insulating material for the attic insulation is a high degree of adhesion. He is perfectly bonded to any material, be it concrete, wood or metal. The exception is polyethylene and fluoropolymer surfaces, but to find such in the regeneration of the attic is almost impossible.
Applied polyurethane foam to insulate the attic in the liquid state. After contact with the treated surface it freezes within a few minutes. Through the process of spraying the structure of the polyurethane foam is porous, so air saturated with the insulating material retains heat well. Cellular foam structure of the polyurethane foam determines its specific properties:
- resistance to water;
- prevents the penetration;
- high degree of sound insulation;
- the low level of Flammability (material divided into 3 groups: self-extinguishing, nonflammable and hard flammable).
The heat insulator urethane foam is resistant to mold and mildew, and is inactive when in contact with aggressive chemicals. That is not affected by acids, alkalis, solvents, petrol and oils, non-corrosive metal. The range of temperature fluctuations, in which the material retains the characteristic properties, in the range of from -150onTo +150onWith.
The decision to organize the attic insulation with polyurethane foam provides a number of advantages:
- Excellent ink adhesion with any surface.
- The thickness of the insulation layer varies depending on the influence of related factors.
- Minimum heat losses reduce heating costs.
- Polyurethane foam used as insulation of the attic, enhances the rigidity of the roof.
- The loss of the space when using foam is minimized because the layer has a minimum thickness that is unattainable for the other insulators.
- The application of foam is possible in all tight spaces, including areas between the beams and rafters of the roof structure.
- Soundproofing of the attic where the insulation made by polyurethane foam, at a high level.
- Polyurethane is not susceptible to deformation, i.e. after the attic insulation it does not crumble, will not swell, shrinkage is completely absent.
- Manufacturers guarantee a minimum lifetime for a quarter of a century.
- The method of spraying contributes to economical consumption of material and therefore reduces the cost of construction of the attic.
- In use, the insulator foam does not emit toxic fumes or just odor.
Multiple advantages of polyurethane foam are accompanied by certain disadvantages. The key point is the high adaptability of the process. The attic insulation using polyurethane foam cannot be achieved without special equipment. Violation of the rules when mixing the components during application or spraying can affect the quality of the heat insulating coating. You should also pay attention to the properties of the polyurethane foam smolder if exposed to fire.
Before proceeding directly to the attic insulation, should organize preparatory procedures.
To avoid property damage in attic insulation will help the following steps:
- All of the furniture is better to move to a more protected place. The process of attic insulation must be held in an empty room.
- Window glass can also be affected if liquid penopoliuretana, so they blind fabric or hang film.
- Similar actions are done with the door, so as to remove the foam from the surface of any subject is extremely difficult.
An important step is cleansing the walls and ceiling of old coatings. If finishing material in the form of slats or particle Board is in decent condition, it can not be removed. To improve the adhesion of the polyurethane with the surface should be rid of all debris, dirt and dust.
If you do the attic insulation foam is planned independently, care should be taken of the availability of all components among them must be:
- two containers for liquid polyurethane and water;
- spray gun;
- clothing, including shoes and gloves;
- remedies in the form of mask or respirator;
- a rag and putty knife for cleaning the internal surfaces of the attic;
- brush and paint to cover the foam.
You first need to carefully study the information on the basic action in all stages of the procedure of the attic insulation. Given the complexity of the technological process, work on the polyurethane foam insulation is best left to professionals. The use of specialised equipment is guaranteed to give a quality result, which is not to argue for self-perform work.
Involvement in the process of spraying polyurethane foam masters would cost a lot. However, the availability of improved devices will significantly accelerate the whole process of arrangement of the attic. The first important point is to determine the required layer thickness. Thermal calculations must take into account the ambient temperature and the thickness of the walls, what material they are made and what properties they have.
The average thickness of the layer of attic insulation is 10-15 cm, it is Desirable to spray polyurethane foam with one layer. If necessary to form a thicker layer, sputtering is carried out in several stages.
An important condition is the quality of the prepared surface, it should be clean and dry. The background temperature in the attic space when performing the insulation should be 10 to 15onS. Another point worthy of attention is the level of humidity. The excess of the permissible parameters will provoke the formation of bubbles or open pores of the polyurethane foam, sometimes there is delamination of the material.
The technology of attic insulation PUF has certain similarities with the procedure of applying the paint from a spray:
- movements of the gun are made from the bottom up;
- must follow uniform application: the polyurethane foam layer should not have projections and depressions;
- for protection from harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation are recommended at the conclusion of the process of insulation process of polyurethane paint.
Steps to attic insulation is carried out with the obligatory safety precautions. The worker must perform the procedure of spraying in overalls, which protects the body from contact with chemicals. In the absence of a specialized suit used any protective clothing with the same qualities, complete with shoes, gloves, goggles and a respirator.
When connected before starting, the two components of the polyurethane foam it is necessary to achieve precise compliance with the ratio of 1:1. The second important point is thorough mixing. The increase in any of the components or heterogeneous mass will lead to changes in quality characteristics of the insulation layer of.
Depending on the purpose of attic insulation is carried out in two ways. For its future operation as a dwelling, polyurethane foam insulation is in the attic floor, the processing is subjected to only the ceiling. Polyurethane foam is sprayed between the wooden joists. In other cases, the deposition of the insulation layer is produced on the sexual surface. When you do this, be sure to take care of the ventilation system.